Sunday, July 24, 2011

What Is It Like To Be A Dad?

The question has been posed by a young grandson: "What is it like to be a Dad?"  Well, I cannot answer that. But your grandfather has been a Dad since March 11, 1965. Even before that, because wasn't he a Dad even while his firstborn was getting ready to be born? I think so!

Well, I'm about to ask Grampie Wayne that question and will be writing exactly what he has to say. I hope this answers your question!

"What's it like to be a dad? Well -- in some ways it is a little scary because you are responsible to provide for a family, which means you have to work hard even when you don't want to. But there is nothing better when you come home from work than to have your son or your daughter say, 'hi, Dad!' I like when they put their arms around your leg and while you are picking them up and trying to walk with them holding onto your leg. I miss that now, as a Grandfather because I don't have the strength anymore. I like the proud feeling you have to see your child do well at something. And, of course, it makes me cry when they accept Christ as their Savior -- because that is the purpose of parenthood, anyway. That's the real purpose. If your child never accepts Christ as their personal Savior, you feel like a failure. But, boy when they do, WOW! [chuckles] I like it when they do well with their schoolwork and when I see them help their mother (because I LOVE HER). I have loved seeing them grow up and get married and begin a home of their own. And I really LIKE it when they give us a grandchild. I like doing things around the house for my family. I like bringing a treat home from the store when I have been able to do that, and disappointed when I didn't have the money. I did find it hard to come up with a Bible story that they hadn't heard before and that I thought they would like to hear. I was thinking recently and wondering if I had ever told them the Bible stories about spies! Did you know there were spies in the Bible? And I like some of the adventure stories in the Bible. For example, Paul escaping by being let over a wall in a basket -- or the story about a girl who just 'happened' to glean in a particular field and ending up marrying the owner of the field and learning who her descendants are. I liked it when we were able to travel places and do special things. I still do! I like picking apples in the fall -- even with my grown-up children. I liked going to the Creation Museum with two of my daughters and 13 grandchildren [in April, 2011]. When Grammie and I went to see the Grand Canyon, I was so disappointed (and still am) that my children weren't there with us. I liked the times we went to Niagara Falls, Lake Champlain, Grand Manan Island, King's Landing, Luray Caverns, Gettysburg and Antietam Battle Fields, Washington DC, Rocky Mountain National Park, Perdido Key (Florida), Jasper's Beach, and Roque Bluffs State Park. I liked the times that we tented between Maine and Illinois. I liked going hunting with my sons. I remember going Moose Hunting with Uncle Stephen and Uncle Kevin. And I am looking forward to going Moose Hunting this November with Uncle Jonathan and Uncle Stephen, even though they are all grown up now. Grammie doesn't like it, but I've always kind of liked discussions with my children. (Grammie calls them arguments). The Bible says that 'iron sharpens iron' so I like matching wits with them and have even taken the side of a discussion I didn't particularly agree with just so we would have the discussion. Of course, now that my children are all grown up, you would think that I no longer have to feel responsible for them. But I DO! They are still 'my kids'. And God has been SO GOOD to give me the ones I have. I am so proud of each of them. [YES ... he's crying.] I love seeing their efforts to train up their children to know the LORD. I remember praying for the husbands and wives my children were going to have someday -- LONG BEFORE they were old enough to be married, praying that who they married would be men and women who knew Jesus as their Savior. Now that my children are no longer under our roof, so to speak, I still have an expectancy for them to do the right thing even if it is hard to do. I LOVE being proud of my kids! I LOVE watching my children love their spouse and their kids. I was thinking today, 'I wonder how many of my children are in Church today?' I have often said that the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother. Of course, the BEST thing a father can do for his children is to do all he can to bring them to salvation. BUT, it is still a very important thing for a father to show his children that he LOVES their mother. After all, he wouldn't be a Dad if it were not for HER. So she is extra special -- God's gift to HIM. And, in a way, his children are HER gift to HIM."

I like what Grampie has to say and I know he means it with all of his heart. I hope that EVERY ONE of our ten grandsons become the kind of godly, Christian dad that your grandfather has been -- and is!

No comments:

Post a Comment