Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Virtue

Grampie and I are so pleased that the mothers in our family all love the Lord and all want to be examples of virtue to their children. Here you see two of the virtuous women in our family -- our oldest daughter and HER oldest daughter.

So what is VIRTUE? Virtue is clean, highly moral, pure. Virtue is rare and greatly to be desired in a person. The Bible says that a virtuous woman is worth a fortune! (See Proverbs 31).

It is so hard to believe that Heather is twenty-one. We still remember that cute little munchkin that we first saw in her baby swing just a few days after she was born. What a journey she had before her to become the woman she is today. Virtue doesn't develop in a vacuum! I believe it is learned and develops in tender and teachable hearts. It comes as a result of times like you see in this picture. A loving relationship between a child and a parent who lives by and teaches the living Word of God is one of the essentials, in my opinion.

Grandparents can help, too, and we want to! We want to mentor them and help them to hear and know the Gospel. We want them to see Jesus in us. And while we know that many times all they see in us is US, our greatest desire is to be more and more like Jesus in all of our daily living!

Did you know that PATIENCE is a virtue? Have you noticed that most people really aren't very patient at all? Everyone wants to be FIRST. Everyone seems to be in a hurry. Grandma Buza used to quote a little verse: "Patience is a virtue, find it if you can, Seldom in a woman, Never in a man!" Well, we would chuckle over it but nobody really believed that men have no patience at all -- well maybe some don't have any. Grampie must be VERY patient. He lives with me and never starts any "fights".

I have to share a story about patience (or the lack thereof): today I saw a phenomenal man at a store. He did something I have NEVER seen before. Amazing! Grampie and I were standing in line with nothing but a few packages of pencils we found at a great price. As we stood, a clerk opened another register, looked at me, and said, "I can help you right here." I smiled, said "thank you" and headed in her direction. Suddenly the man who had been ahead of me in the line spoke up, "Ma'am! Ma'am! It is my turn to be next." I said that she had invited me, but he said, "I know that, but I have been standing in line." So I stepped aside (not very patiently) and let him go ahead, pushing his rather full cart. Odd! More often than not, if I have just a few things in my hand and another person has a cart full (as this man did), the other person will look at me and volunteer his or her place in line saying, "Oh, go ahead. I have a lot here and you just have a few things." It always warms my heart that someone is so considerate, and not in too much of a hurry to be a little thoughtful and courteous.

Heather started learning about patience when she was really little. I remember that we bought her a little apron with a teddy bear on it. And when she stood up in a chair to help me with the dishes I put her "bear apron" on her. Sometimes she would get a little fiesty and I would sing-song, "BE PATIENT". Once she looked up at me, smiled, and said, "Be Patient Right Now!" Hmmmmm ... I think in the last 19-20 years, she has learned the true virtue of patience!

So the thought today is this: whether you are a guy or a girl, a toddler or a teenager (or beyond), ask the Lord to help you to have a virtuous life and be an example to others. A "Ringleader for Right" rather than a follower of the foolish. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment