Thursday, April 26, 2012

A Letter to Grandma and Grandpa Buza

Now that we have no-added-cost long distance, email, and social networks the hand written letter has become pretty rare. But when we were first married, we had NONE of those. But we had the advantage of holding a letter in our hands. This is a letter that Grandma Buza saved for many years and she passed it along to me when she was around 90. I thought you would like to read it:

                                                                                        28th February, 1965
Dear Mom, Dad, & Joel -

Well, it looks as if the baby won't be here in Feb!! I went to the doctor Friday and he says to come back Tuesday if the baby hasn't arrived by then! -- He thought I may have started labor, but I guess not!! Today I had a few regular pains 20 and 15 mins apart, but after 5 or 6 or so they quit. Wayne and I were hoping, but alas!! Yet they may start in again pretty soon .... who knows!?

We were happy tonight to have a 'phone call from Grammie  and Andrea. It was so nice to talk with them -- their voices were so clear... sounded as if we were talking with someone right in Towanda!   (Note: I was talking about Grammie Muriel and Andrea Kneeland Kervin. Towanda, Pennsylvania is where Grampie and I worked at Memorial Hospital.)

Wayne has had quite a cold and sore throat, but I think the worst of it is over. He still doesn't feel quite as well as he could, though. He's been taking bufferin, drinking lots of juice, and resting. I hope he's over it before the baby comes, and I hope I don't catch it from him. I've been fighting a cold for over a week now --- have had the sniffles, but I think it won't develop into anything more serious.

Grammie mentioned what a good time you all had at dinner together .... I wish we could have been there, too!! I can imagine the fun you had! -- Nothing is more fun than eating anyway, is it, Mom? -- Mom & I like to chew the bones !!!

I hope the baby comes before my poor Wayne goes crazy!! I think he can hardly bear the suspense .... of course, he's no more "up in the air" than I am!!!! He says today that he's the proudest father in the world already, and don't know how he'll feel when the baby comes ..... I told him he'd explode; he couldn't hold it al in!! He's precious! He certainly is good to me, and I'm sure he'll be as fine a father as he is a husband. -- He does such sweet little things that so many people wouldn't think of!! He has been so patient with me, especially since the baby's been on the way ..... and it could have been so easy for him to be impatient! You have so much to be proud of in him..... his little faults aren't many, but I complain about them until I think he has 10 times as many good points as he has faults! -- And then my short-comings must drive him crazy!! (I've been twice as bad these past months!!)

It is nearly bedtime now, but I did want to get letters written tonight for tomorrow's mail. Wayne wrote to my family for me. -- It's been ages since he had written, so he decided it was his turn!

We love all 3 of you very much -- Write to us when you can, because we enjoy hearing from you so much!!! -- There isn't much news, but we'll let you know when the "big news" happens!

Love,
Wayne and Brenda

It's fun to go back and look at some of those old letters and see our attitudes and relive some of the memories. As many of you know, Valerie came into our home on March 11.  What a blessing she and our other children are and have always been. God is so GOOD to us.

Of note: Joshua told me recently that I use too many exclamation marks. I know that is true and for quite a few years it has been my habit to go back and edit most of them out. I see this letter. The exclamation points, the ellipses, and the dashes ---  are BAD!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment