Friday, April 26, 2013

Remembering Fun Times At Home

When Grampie and I were children we thought about growing up. We wondered what we would do for a job, where we would live, and who we would marry.

I don't know about Grampie, but I was a dreamer. One thing that was fun to think about was the children I would have someday. Once, lying on the grass near Grammie Muriel's flower garden, I thought I would have six children and name them after flowers. There was Daisy, Rose, Iris, Violet, and two more. The other two names no longer come to mind. My dream was to sew beautiful dresses, all alike, but maybe in six colors. They would be the loveliest girls in the land.

As you know, that dream did not come true! But what really happened is far better than what was in my childish imagination. God ALWAYS has the best plan! We had SIX, but an equal number of girls and boys. Isn't that cool? We are so blessed with the children that God sent to us. Each one is very special and we love them more than they can know.

This picture was taken around Christmas. Notice the foil chain someone constructed to decorate our tree! Now my imagination is taking over! What were our children thinking? I wonder if Kevin was sitting on a package with his name on it? Stephen always looked so handsome in that sweater -- dark blue with yellow around the neck. He loved it. Jonathan, where are the laces for your boots? Valerie is caring for the two little ones and wears a very "seventies" outfit. Bethany is wearing a contented face and I wonder what she is holding. I love the way Marcia is clasping her hands for this photo-op! Maybe they were getting ready to do the play that they presented for us year after year at Christmas time.

And here is another dream. Wouldn't it be fun to time travel back there and give each one of those children a special hug and kiss? Wouldn't it be fun to hear their childish voices and laugh with them? I miss those days, but I wouldn't trade them for NOW. Why? Because now you are with us. You help make our family complete -- and so will your children.

There is something I want you to know, so will you remember this? Wherever you go, whatever you do, however you feel, whatever you are thinking there are some things that will always remain true: Grampie and I love you. More than that, GOD loves you. He loves you most of all.

Someone wrote a song and the chorus to it is related to my prayer for this family -- for all of us together:

May the circle be unbroken
By and by lord, by and by,
There's a better home a-waitin'
In the sky lord, in the sky.


One of these days Grampie and I are going to Heaven. Our most sincere prayer for you is that you will be there with us, as a member of God's Forever Family. What a joyous thought!


4 comments:

  1. The other two names were Snapdragon and Dandelion, I think

    ReplyDelete
  2. You DO? Good thing I don't remember. We don't have a Snapdragon or a Dandelion. They are all sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I claim the name snapdragon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah, Stephen! The last thing you are is "snappy".

    ReplyDelete