Saturday, February 25, 2012

Grammie Muriel: A Great Grandchild Remembers

February 25, 2012 - Earlier today I published a blog about our Grammie Muriel. When she read it, Valerie began to recall some very precious memories of her relationship with my grandmother. I want to share them here, for those of you who were priviledged to know Grammie Muriel will surely identify with this. Thank you, Valerie, for sending your thoughts along.

 
Valerie JacobsenFeb 25, 2012 12:49 PM
Grammie went to Heaven when I was 21, and I still miss her. She was a very godly woman with a great heart for encouragement.

Some of the memories that came to my mind reading this....

I remember once that we cousins were playing, chasing each other in her house, through the doorways--living room, kitchen, dining room, living room, kitchen, dining room, living room, kitchen, dining room.... Laughing and screeching and shouting, like kids will do unrestrained.

Our mothers were reprimanding us, and she said, "Now, look, you girls. [I was startled when she called my MOM and my AUNT "girls."] You did it when you were little, and this is my house, and they can do it, too. If you can't handle it, just run along and go shopping. I'll take care of the kids."

As I recall, our mothers did go shopping that day!

~ ~ ~

I couldn't visit either Grammie Ruth or Grammie Muriel without either of them saying, "Now, does Grammie have anything you need, dear?"

~ ~ ~

I had wonderful times going to antique stores and flea markets with Grammie Muriel, and sometimes Aunt Iola. Grammie's influence and encouragement in my love of history and old artifacts is one of the things that led me to become a bookseller.

She once gave me a 19th century photo album packed with old photographs and a few tintypes of unknown people. I treasured it, and eventually sold it on eBay to help my family.

~ ~ ~

She had the most wonderful and interesting house I've ever visited. The pictures in my mind are vivid. Always things to look at, and she would never forbid us to touch.

~ ~ ~

She had the best, most fun toy drawer for little kids. Many of the tiny toys in there were very old, and all were entrancing.

~ ~ ~

Molasses taffy

~ ~ ~

From the time I turned 15: "Well, I met your grandfather when I was 15, and we married when I was 16, and I was pregnant when I was 17. Don't you have a boyfriend yet?" And then lots of laughter!

~ ~ ~

The very last time I ever played with a baby doll, I was at her house, and I was 12.

~ ~ ~

I remember how cordial and kind she was to a man who was carrying a cross a very long distance, as some kind of evangelistic effort. She spotted him walking and invited him to eat. I was young, but I remember getting the impression that this man was a bit of an oddball, but to my grandmother, that was a chance for joy, someone else to love, and one more chance to talk about Jesus.

~ ~ ~

I loved catching frogs from the pond behind her house. I was _scared_ of Uncle Lawrence's big pond, though.

~ ~ ~

I remember crawling up her inside stairs and feeling nervous and afraid, and a man (I think my father) encouraging me that I could do it. I would guess I was about two. I have a couple of memories from about that time.

~ ~ ~

My grandmother was always _interested_. She was interested in seeing, hearing, knowing. What fascinated us, fascinated her. She wanted to hear all about whatever we needed to tell.

~ ~ ~

[On recalling the road trip from Machias to Littleton, she wrote:]
And just the joy of watching those last few landmarks and finally spotting her house. It was like the borderland for our people.

1 comment: