Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Carrots Are Such A Small Thing.

Could I give you some advice about being a parent? You might need it someday: Chill!

This is about a day when I made a carrot into a very BIG thing, when it was nothing at all. It was Nothing in comparison with the things that are really important in life. Like my children.

I was so excited to have pictures taken of our children -- one of the boys and one of the girls. We couldn't afford it very often, so this was a big day for me. And what nice Christmas presents these pictures would make, we thought.

Valerie, Marcia, and Bethany were dressed up, washed up, combed up, and ready to go when to my HORROR, I noticed that my dear, littlest girl had an orange mustache! "Why, oh why, did you have to eat a carrot when I had you all ready to have your picture taken?" I was a basket case. And if the inconvenience wasn't bad enough, the fact that it wouldn't wash off made it even worse.

I was miserable and totally OUT of control! What a waste of energy on my part just stressing over something so minor! Now I don't even see the carrot juice when I look at this picture more than 30 years later.  I just see precious faces and remember how blessed we were--and are--to have them in our lives (orange stains and all).

No comments:

Post a Comment