Friday, March 16, 2012

Mother -- A Trust and A Calling

What do I say about my mother and motherhood in general. Stories about motherhood range from the sublime to the hilarious.

Our view of motherhood sees it as a TRUST. God entrusts us with his beloved, little creations so they might grow and develop and live out the plan that He has for them. We are to love and nurture and cherish the little ones who are sent into our families. We are to see that they are well fed, educated, and that they develop good character as they prepare to live in this world as adult members of society.

And it is a calling. The Christian mother is to teach and model the wonderful Gospel of the Lord Jesus every day before her children. She is a missionary, a teacher, an evangelist. And her ministry is to prepare children for God's Kingdom. She is to share God's Word and His love and to be an example of the believer to her family.

The mother I have known the longest is my own (imagine that)! My Momma has been one of my best friends as well as an authority in my life. Motherhood started for her, formally, on July 2, 1943 when I was delivered by C section. For 5 1/2 years I was the ONLY child. Being the first child, the first grandchild, the first niece, etc was a privilege. I really got a LOT of attention in those days. And I have some GREAT memories of it.

But, as with everyone else, life was not all sunshine and roses. When I was only 13 and Mom was only 34, she was widowed. Suddenly -- on November 8, 1956 -- we went from a rather comfortable little family on the farm to a struggling family -- struggling with loneliness, fear, and for me it was a struggle watching Mom carry all of the responsibility for a home and four children. It was the struggle of seeing Mom in tears, seeing her tired. I ached for her. (This picture was probably taken of us about six months after Mom was widowed.)

At that point in life, I became more of a companion than a daughter (in my mind). I felt a responsibility to help Mom, to keep her company, to do all I could to soothe the hurt that she was experiencing. It was a hard burden for a young teenager, but I would have had it no other way. It was a matter of honor and a matter of keeping my word to my Dad. Only a few weeks before he died he talked to me on a Sunday afternoon. He told me he had a feeling he wouldn't be around much longer and that when he died it would be very hard on my mother. He said Mom would be hurt enough and that I should be sure to never do anything to hurt her more. And when the accident happened and my Mom was widowed, it was already firmly planted in my heart, "I must do this", "I must not do that", etc. "I cannot hurt Mom."

I thank the Lord for that mandate because I am quite sure my teenaged life could have been different without that promise -- that compelling reason to care for Mom. My regret is that I should have wanted to live my life carefully to please the LORD first and Mom second. But though I was a Christian at the time, my focus was on Mom more than on the Lord. In thinking of it, I realize it was probably a maturity issue and a weak faith -- Mom was the one I could SEE.

I was very thankful when Mom remarried in 1961. It was wonderful for her to have a companion and for my brothers to have a man in their lives. It was so good to see her happy and cared for by a man who was truly a partner in every way. He cared deeply for her children and stepped naturally into the husband and father roles -- something new for him. Grampie Jim is the grandfather that my children knew on my side of the family. And I am very happy for them. He was delightful, always kidding with them and making them feel loved. In 1990, Mom was widowed again. This time we expected it, for Jim was ill with heart and lung diseases. He is SO missed!

On Mother's Day, 2011 my siblings and I were with Mom -- it was her 67th Mother's Day! That is a long time to be a mother, isn't it?

That was a great day for all of us! We have many reasons to be thankful. Most of all because Mom realizes that her role in life has been a trust and a calling. She has done her best to honor the Lord, to live a godly life before us, to reach us with the Gospel of Christ, to love us and care for us. I tell Mom that she is truly a survivor. She survived the great depression; she survived the separation when my Dad was drafted into the military during World War II; she survived the illnesses that plagued her when we were young (mostly phlebitis recurring in her legs); she survived the death of our father; she survived raising FOUR children; she survived Jim's illness, being widowed a second time, and living alone for many years, now. 

She is brave. She never gives up. She serves the Lord faithfully. She loves the Word of God. She is a champion mother and grandmother. She is a prayer warrior. I'd like to take just one of those things and do it well!

No comments:

Post a Comment