Sunday, November 7, 2010

Her Most Meaningful Day


Dallas Eliza Lane was born on August 8, 1911 in a town called Wittenberg in the Catskill Mountains area of New York. It was a large and hard-working family. She grew up to become Grampie Wayne's mother. Some of you called her Grammie Dallas, some called her Grandma Buza. She was your great grandmother, but some of you did not meet her.

Sadly, she did not hear about Jesus in her home when she was growing up. But the Lord had plans for her! She always remembered with fondness the woman who invited her to Sunday School in the little Methodist Church. It was quite a hike but she and her sister Lou walked it to go to classes every week at the Church. It was one of those Sundays that she called

 My Most Meaningful Day
Here is her story, written late in life in her journal. Her greatest hope for you was that you would know Jesus in a very real and personal way as your Lord, your Savior, your very best friend:


"I’ll never forget that day in June, on Children’s Day in 1925 in the Methodist Church in Wittenberg, New York. After the children had said their pieces and sung their songs in the program, the pastor talked to us all and told us how we could receive the most precious and priceless gift ever given -- that of accepting JESUS as our own, personal Savior and indeed, become God’s very own child. As the pastor talked, I no longer saw Him but all I seemed to see was Jesus standing there saying to me, "accept me into your life," and I did. Oh, the JOY that flooded my soul and life. To me, receiving God’s gift of His Son into my life was truly the most precious gift I or anyone else can ever receive and this gift can never be lost, stolen, tarnished or fade away. It is eternal and also has so many extra blessings added to it, which are innumerable." (John 3:16)

On January 31, 2006 Grampie and I were eating supper at our work in Bangor, Maine. Somebody came to our break room door and said that Grampie had a 'phone call. Both of us knew that Grandma was very ill. We thought the call was about her. When he left the table and went to take the call, I knew in my heart that Grandma had left her body behind and that the "real woman" was now with Jesus.

He came back to the table and told me that his Mom had died. It made us sad, but we were not hopeless. We knew we would miss her, but we also believe that there are no "goodbyes" for Christians. It is always "see you later". We know we will see her again someday when we go to Heaven. Why? Because she trusted in the Lord Jesus Christ as her Lord and Savior and she has everlasting life just as God promised.

No comments:

Post a Comment