Sunday, November 14, 2010

Grampie Jim Was Loyal and True

How thankful our family was that God brought Grampie Jim into our lives. He and Grammie Ruth were married on June 16, 1961. That was the day after I graduated from high school and it was almost 4 1/2 years after our father died. What a wonderful, happy, kind, and generous man he was. He loved our mother dearly and he treated us children like we were his very own. Yet, he was always very careful to tell us that he was NOT trying to take our father's place in our hearts. And he didn't! He made his own place in our hearts and we loved him as dearly as anyone loves their dad. He became a genuine grandfather to our children. What a fun-loving grandfather he was, always joking with the kids, always doing something kind for them.

Sometimes it makes me sad that my children didn't know my Dad -- yet, I truly believe that Grampie Jim was in their lives for God's own purposes. They could not have asked for better grandparents. And I am so thankful for that.

You might be interested to know that Paul Cain (my Dad) and James Williams (my step-dad) were both ancestors of our grandson, Robert!  Here is the story: Robert's Mom's  grandmother and Grampie Jim were brother and sister. That makes Grammie Ruth Robert's Great grandmother by birth and his great great aunt by marriage.





No comments:

Post a Comment