Friday, November 12, 2010

Stephen's & Jeannie's Family


Well, we have the best grandkids in the world. On that note, let me tell you a little story I heard. A man got on a train and started to look for a seat. He walked up to an empty seat beside a passenger and asked, "do you have any grandchildren?" When the other passenger said, "yes", he continued on. After stopping and asking several people, he found someone who had no grandchildren. He whipped out his wallet, sat down, and said, "Great! Let me tell you about mine!" We grandparents really CAN be obnoxious, so please forgive me and understand I can't help it.

Some of the men in my life have said and done some remarkable things during dating and courtship, but they got the girl anyway! For example, this is how my father proposed to my Mom: "Ruth, would you like to darn my socks for the rest of your life?"
I was getting ready to ask Wayne, "are you going to ask me to marry you, or should I look elsewhere?" But he beat me to the punch (barely), and I was SO happy!

The night Jeannie met Stephen on the UMM campus, he asked her, "do you want to go do something?" That was very disconcerting and she hurried into a dorm lobby. He followed her in and struck up a conversation, helping her understand he was pretty benign after all.

I wonder what she would have thought if she could have heard what he said to US that night: "I met the prettiest girl I've ever seen . . . and she's not too stupid, either!"  We noticed in time that he was becoming pretty interested in this young lady and we were a little nervous until we found out she was Jean O'Brien's grandaughter. We figured then that she was probably fine! And when Jean found out that her grandaughter liked Wayne and Brenda Buza's son, she was thrilled, too. Yes, Jean was a very wonderful Christian woman and that sweetness is being passed down to the generations that are following her.

Stephen and Jeannie -- along with their children, a cat, and a dog -- live about 15 minutes or so from us in Bradford -- out in the woods. It is beautiful and quiet there, a real retreat from the bustle of the world. They raise pretty nice things (besides the children, of course). What gardens! This has been a year for canning and freezing -- and giving away some marvelous produce.

Emily just voted for the first time this year. I cannot believe it -- we have some adults among our grandchildren now. She is studying cosmetology and I can hardly WAIT to have her cut my hair. Joshua goes to High View Christian School and is on the soccer team! David and Samuel are being homeschooled by their teacher-mom. And WE are involved with things like field trips. Besides that, I am beginning piano lessons with the homeschoolers. I'm excited about that and hope they like it.

Stephen, Jeannie, and their family are very hospitable and lots of fun to visit. Call them up! They will probably invite you over.

1 comment:

  1. Everyone and anyone is welcome to come out and visit us. I will even cook you supper and you might go home with a goodie bag from our gardens. Love, Jeannie and Stephen 143

    ReplyDelete