Sunday, November 7, 2010

Mom's & Jim's Silver Anniversary

What a beautiful day, what a beautiful occasion! It's hard for me to get my thoughts around the fact that my Mom had only 14 years with our Dad. She had 29 1/2 wonderful years with Jim. What a blessing for BOTH of them and for all of us.

On another topic, let me ask you a question: take a look at that picture and wonder with me if it is fair that my Mother at 64 had such beautiful hair with only a speck of white? At 64 I was almost totally white-haired. And see my grandmother here with very little white hair at 84? When Mom's sister, Aunt Iola, died she didn't have much gray hair, either. 

I'm wondering if, at the current rate, I might be half bald if I'm still around to see my 80's. My Grammie Kit (my Dad's mom) wasn't totally white at the end of her life, either. None of them colored their hair! But, yes. You are absolutely right -- it's all genetics. My Dad began to gray when he was a teenager. And when he died at the age of 40 his hair was mostly white. 

I am only kidding, though. It doesn't really bother me. I just like to complain about it to point out how remarkable it was for them to remain so young-looking. I've told Mom at times that people probably think I am her older sister. She hushes me when I do that.

The only time it bothered me was when I was 50 and didn't want to look 60. So I started to have my hair colored. Did you hear of the story that Gramp went into a hospital room around that time to draw blood from an elderly woman? She sweetly said to him, "Your MOTHER did it yesterday". OK.... I said, "nobody is going to call that balding man my SON! I'm getting a bottle and coloring my hair!" Once I turned 60, though, I thought it was ok to look my age so I've gone au naturel!








No comments:

Post a Comment